Understanding Overdrafts and Your Options
What you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees.
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
We also offer overdraft protection plans such as a link to an overdraft line of credit or to a home equity line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions such as gas and grocery purchases
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if United Bank & Trust pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of $32 each time we pay an overdraft
- An extended overdraft notice fee of $15 will be assessed if your account remains overdrawn for 8 consecutive calendar days and every 8th consecutive calendar day thereafter until the account is returned to a positive balance
- On a daily basis, we will charge no more than 6 overdraft fees
Would you like to enable overdraft service on your account?
To enable overdraft service on your account, simply contact your local United banking office today and we will be happy to assist you. Without your permission, any overdrawn purchases made with your debit card, or ATM withdrawals exceeding your balance, will be declined.
Remember, you will only be a charged a fee if you use the service and can cancel at any time.