The U.S. government insures Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loans, making them a popular solution for many homebuyers. The insurance reduces risk, enabling you to put down less than with traditional home loans. Mortgage limits apply, but rates and terms are competitive, and you may qualify for an FHA even if you’ve experienced credit problems.
- Insured by the Federal Housing Administration
- Low 3.5% down payment requirement
- Down payment may come from a family member, employer or charitable organization
- Low monthly mortgage insurance
- Low closing costs
- May be a good solution for first-time homebuyers
- Conventional loans may be refinanced to FHA loans